• 1850 – German descendents settled near Morganford and Chippewa seeking employment in the coal mines. Small truck gardeners and merchants followed to form a viable community which became known as ‘Minerstown.’
  • 1865 – July 4, Initiation of congregation, served by Prof. F.A. Craemer. The Lutheran Young People’s Society of St. Louis, to celebrate the anniversary of its organization, sponsored a picnic in Bamberger’s Grove (near Gravois and Gustine Streets – now Gravois Plaza). Impressed by the Concordia Seminary student speeches and inspired by their Lutheran heritage while lamenting their lack of worship facilities, eight of the Minerstown gentlemen (St. John’s Charter Members) approached the faculty of Concordia College and requested they provide a minister to shepherd the families of German Lutheran settlers living in the area.
  • 1865 – July 9th, Concordia sent as their first pastor Professor August Craemer, under the auspices of Dr. Walther. The first congregation worshiped in the frame church, owned by the Holy Innocents Episcopal Church, at Morganford and Tholozan. Mr. Paul Gayer instructed the St. Johns children in the Bible and Lutheran Doctrine in his home after school. Pastor Craemer served 10 years 1865 – 1875
  • 1868 – Purchased 1/2 acre of ground for $250 to erect church at Morganford and Chippewa
  • 1868 – Sept. 20, First church dedicated as St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church (where today’s church now stands). The small two-story frame building had an upper floor for worship services and a lower floor for a parochial school.
  • 1875 – Pastor Creamer called to Concordia Seminary in Springfield, IL
  • 1875 – Aug. 1, First resident pastor, Herman Bartels, installed to serve the 50 communicants church body. Pastor Bartels was born in Germany in 1851. He left Germany at 18 with an emigrating colony bound for Perry County, Missouri. He graduated from Concordia Seminary in 1875, and he served his entire 55-year ministry at St. John’s 1875
  • 1930 – Worship services conducted primarily in the German language
  • 1876 – St. Louis extended its boundaries to its present location. A two-story parsonage with 8 tiny rooms erected on the N.E. corner of Morganford and Chippewa
  • 1884 – July – Second church erected
  • 1884 – Nov. 23, Second church dedicated. Total cost was just over $6,000. The first frame church and school was moved to the rear of the lot where it still functioned as school until 1905.
  • 1888 – Young Men’s Society
  • 1890 – May 25, Young Ladies’ Society organized
  • 1891 – Dec. 31, Mixed Choir begun
  • 1896 – March 14, Women’s Guild organized
  • 1905 – First brick and mortar school dedicated. A two-story brick 4 room school was erected on Chippewa. The identifying stone marker read “St. Johannes’ Ev.Luth.Schule.” From 1905-1923 this school taught lower six grades only. By 1910 most lessons were presented in English. Mr. Christian Paul, who taught 50 years from 1882-1932 (one of the longest teacher tenures), served with many other teachers in this school.
  • 1907 – The frame parsonage sold and moved to 4382 Chippewa. A 2 story – 8 room brick parsonage was erected.
  • 1909 – March 13, Young People Society organized
  • 1918 – Quilters organized
  • 1921 – Asst. Pastor Ferdinand Rupprecht installed to conduct the English spoken church services. He was a newly graduate seminarian called as Assistant Pastor to Rev. Bartels
  • 1921 – Sunday school established
  • 1921 – Apr. 19, Junior Walther League organized
  • 1921 – Apr. 30, Senior Walther League organized
  • 1923 – Mr. Leonard Dierker installed as principal and the school expanded to accredited eight grades
  • 1923 – Ushers Staff organized
  • 1923 – Oct. 18, Male Octet begun
  • 1925 – Asst. Pastor F. Rupprect, stricken with typhoid fever after youth camp outing, died
  • 1925 – Sept. 6, Asst. Pastor Paul H. Hansen, installed
  • 1925 – Oct. 23, cornerstone laid on the Parish Hall
  • 1928 – March 11, Parish Hall dedicated
  • 1930 – Full pastorate assumed by Pastor Hansen
  • 1933 – Men’s Club organized
  • 1934 – May, Ushers Quartet organized
  • 1938 – November, Junior Choir organized
  • 1940 – Oct – 75th anniversary celebration
  • 1945 – Jan 7 – Last service held in the brick church before razing
  • 1945 – March 23, Alter Guild begun
  • 1946 – Parent-Teacher League organized
  • 1947 – Oct. 31, Girl Scouts begun
  • 1947 – Vacation Bible School begun
  • 1947 – Dec. 28, Ground broken for the third sanctuary
  • 1949 – Oct. 30, Present Church dedicated
  • 1955 – Parent-Teacher League organized
  • 1960 – Feb. 14, Mr. and Mrs. Club organized
  • 1962 – Boy Scouts organized
  • 1962 – July 15, Pastor Daniel D. Dautenhahn, installed
  • 1966 – Cornerstone laying for the new school.
  • 1967 – Dedication March 12. The two-story brick and stone school contains 6 classrooms and a multi-purpose room
  • 1981 – June 21, Pastor Roger A. Rekstad, installed as 4th full time pastor.
  • 1983 – Refurbishment of the old school building
  • 1984 – June 10, Asst. Pastor Todd McVey, installed
  • 1985 – March 24, Pastor Todd McVay installed as Senior Pastor
  • 1985 – Aug. 18, Pastor Richard Lieske, installed as Associate Pastor
  • 1987 – Evangelism Board organized
  • 1987 – Social Ministry Board organized
  • 1989 – Approximate Communicant Membership – 800. Approximate student enrollees – 203.
  • 1990 – Oct. 14, Pastor Gary Dehnke, installed as pastor
  • 1990 – St. Johns Lutheran Church celebrated their 125th anniversary
  • 2010 – Pastor Michael Tanney installed
  • 2015 – 150th Anniversary Celebration